“Jazz and love the most difficult to explain with a rational point of view” (Mel Tormé)
(the Article in Russian http://www.unification.com.au/articles/read/3462/ )
On the 5th of November in the Russian community centre there will be a new concert by Innessa — our talented singer from the Sunshine Coast. Innessa will present our viewers with songs from her new album “Love-n-Jazz”. The concert also offers dinner, wine, gifts and surprises.
Last year we talked about a joint folklore concert by Innessa and Anastasiya, which took place with great success in a Multicultural Centre of Queensland.
For several years Innessa has taken an active part in the folk festivals and concerts, also performing in QRCC.
A Jazz album with popular nostalgic English and Spanish songs has become the new creative experiment for Innessa. She kindly agreed to tell the readers of the newspaper “Unification”
about her new concert and CD release – “Love-n-Jazz”.
– Good day, Innessa! Tell us please about your new concert. As I understand it, it will not have songs from Russian folklore but will have popular English songs from past years?
– I will start at the beginning. Just recently, in August I released my new album titled “Love-n-Jazz” which contained the widely known jazz compositions loved by everyone.
Work on this album started way back in December 2015 and only after eight months came the long awaited release.
To celebrate this event, I, together with the Queensland Russian Community Centre, decided to organise a beautiful jazz evening with a gourmet dinner, wine, gifts and surprises.
This event will be held on the 5th of November at the Queensland Russian Community Centre, 19 Lotus Street, Woolloongabba, Brisbane.
– Why did you select these particular songs for your new album?
– It happened somewhat spontaneously. I love listening to jazz. For a long time I performed jazz tunes, working as a singer in Russia and abroad.
Once an admirer of my work asked me why I still haven’t recorded a jazz album. I laughed, and then began to think: “why not?”
I decided to go easy at first and quickly recorded an album of duets (guitar/vocals), but, as often happens with me, I became very inspired and could not apply the “brakes” in time. The result was that a full ensemble became involved in playing on the recording and the whole process took much longer than I originally planned. But I am very happy with the result.
– Who helped you in the recording of the new album and photographs for the cover? Our local Russian-speaking musicians and photographers?
– The album initially involved two guitarists: Sam Shepherd and Michael Gurski. But then I decided to turn to Andrei Karachun (Misha’s friend), who lives in Ukraine, and with whom we have already co-operated successfully and remotely in the past. Andrew, who has his own Studio, was very inspired and attracted some talented musicians as well. So we, being on different continents, recorded the album “Love-n-Jazz”.
The cover for the album I definitely wanted to be retro. I was very pleased to meet with Olga Hilton, who specializes in vintage-style photo shoots. It was she who helped me to create the desired image and the cover design.
-What style of music do you prefer: folk, classical, jazz, pop or rock? You love the retro style?
– Oh, retro is my weakness! I always loved listening to and performing the good old timeless songs!
I also really love to watch old movies. That’s why I really wanted to make this album, despite the fact that it is not the top priority among my musical projects.
As regards preferences, I felt that, at this stage, I am somewhat torn between folk and alternative directions. So I decided on an experiment by combining together these two styles:traditional folklore and alternative pop. The first single of this style is already due for release in October of this year!
-Are you going to continue to sing and record Russian folk songs? What are your plans for the coming year?
— Yes, I plan to continue to expand the folk repertoire. In Australia there are a number of multinational festivals, which welcome the traditional folklore of various nations.
Last year I became a member of a very large folk festival – “Woodford Folk Festival”, where I performed not only a Russian folk program, but also held a dance class for the local audience. I was struck by the number of people who came to learn Russian dance. It was an unforgettable experience of positive energy and the unity that filled the dance hall!
This year, I devoted a lot of time recording albums and also to teaching myself management and marketing, in the field of music. I release three singles in the alternative style, my first video clip and another folk album, after which I will put into practice all of my newly acquired knowledge to organize the concerts.
I started a blog in English and Russian, where I share feelings, impressions and news.
So come and check me out at www.innessamusic.com and subscribe to my mailing list to be kept informed of the release of any new music and new concerts.
-How do you manage to find time for concerts and to record albums, being the mum of two small children? What do you dream about in your free time, if it ever happens?
– What helps me is “time management”, which I started over a year ago. The most powerful tools for me became: delegating and saying “No” to many things to be able to say “YES” to what really matters to me. I realized that if you try to do everything yourself, and indiscriminately implement every idea that arises, you will not get far. You need to very clearly define the “final destination”, to carefully choose the route and, when it’s possible, to delegate some responsibilities to the professionals and enthusiastic helpers.
But as for my dreams – I dream of a foaming bath in broad daylight, when no one is at home, watch a movie and read a good book. But when you need to take care not only of yourself but also of two “little people” and all in a 24 hour day, there is not much time left for lying around…
— What inspires and encourages you in life and in creativity?
— Changes inspire me; new twists in life, reading wise books, music, travelling, meeting new people, new opportunities, success big and small, new goals. And also I find it inspiring when I inspire someone else.
— Where can one purchase your new song album?
My new CD can be purchased in Russian stores in Brisbane: “Ruski Way Deli” (Woolloongabba) and “Euro Delicious” (Upper Mt Gravatt), and you can also order or download the album on my website –www.innessamusic.com
– What other concerts are in your immediate plans?
– This year I have only 2 concerts planned: Jazz evening at the Russian Centre on the 5th of November and another concert with my folk program on 10th of December in «Studio 188» (Ipswich), with the full band. The rest of the time I would like to dedicate to studio work. Details about the upcoming concerts can be found on my website and on Facebook www.facebook.com/innessa.news
– Thanks for the interview, Innessa, and we wish you great success in your work!
We invite all lovers of Innessa’s music to the concert to be held at 6:00 pm on Saturday 5 November this year, at the QRCC Hall in Brisbane at 19 Lotus St, Woolloongabba.
In the concert “Love-n-Jazz – Dining with Innessa” there will be the presentation of Innessa’s new album, as well as a gourmet dinner, wine, gifts and surprises!
Come dressed in retro style!
(translated by Ivan Renatovich)